Moviemakers Club
Home Search Calendar Login Register Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Moviemakers Club  |  The Set  |  Scripter's Corner  |  Topic: In the Midst of the Night... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: In the Midst of the Night...  (Read 1631 times)
Bboy Nogard
(Gavin Wong)
Distinguished Member

« on: February 19, 2009, 02:39:36 PM »

So in 5th period, William pitched a new movie idea that we built off of. We have a basic storyline and a few details on specific scenes but we still need to figure out a complete script. So this is what we have figured out so far:

Starts off with a guy who is the average joe with a nice, calming life. One day he comes home from work and finds his power is out. He searches for a flashlight and as soon as he turns it on, he discovers a dead body. The dead body has some sort of disturbing mutilation (eyes and mouth sewn shut, missing nose, ect...). The average joe gets scared and doesnt know what to do. He can not call the cops as he is afraid of being accused the murderer. He gets rid of the dead body and tries not to worry about it. Next day, after work, same thing happens. Another dead body with the same mutilation is found. He tells his most trusted friend who then blabs to everybody. Now, everybody thinks the average joe is the killer. His most trusted friend then turns against him when one of the friends from their group is found dead in the average joe's home, leaving him to fend for himself. The dead bodies continue to appear until one day average joe decides to put out a video camera to see what exactly is happening. So he comes back from work and again, finds a dead body. His video camera had tipped over. He dumps the body and looks at the video camera. On the camera, he sees that something knocks the camera down and all we can see on tape is the dead body being dragged across the screen.  The story concludes when Average Joe himself is killed some how, and we never find out who or what is killing off all his friends.

Script page: http://mmc.pftq.com/movie2238.mmc

Always Imitated, Never Duplicated

WM
(William Mok)
Club Founder

iMok Productions

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 06:38:22 PM »

A more deceiving title would be nice... we want to catch the audience by surprise. Tongue

For example, this is the synopsis:
An average hardworking man comes home one lonesome night to find in his house a dead body.

Some more ideas before I forget:
- Main character starts off moving to a new home (so it'll be relatively empty, reason to have one last celebration with friends).
- After intro scene of 3 friends, several faded scenes to imply main character working - long hard day.
- First death; main character is on the phone, so we hear him discuss the awkwardness of everything in the house (power out, strange smell, dark, etc)
- After friend found dead in his home, main character finally reveals to other friend the problem; other friend should suspiciously make a joke that describes the main character's problem dead on.

Some things to consider:
- Does the main character ever try to stay home to confront the issue himself?
- How are the bodies found? ex. lips/eyes sewn shut - make it disturbing

Solaris
(Simon Lal)
The Power of the Sun

True form of Solaris

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 06:57:58 PM »

well this is almost like my twisted world script because everyone dies but anyways i think ther's one thing you forgot

-how come the dead bodies appear in his house?
-why doesn't whatever is killing the people  kill the average Joe at night?

and a comment we could have the average Joe put cameras around his house and a scene of a creature comes out of his basement dragging the dead bodies and that same creature tries to get Joe every night but Joe wears a cross when he goes to sleep and so the creature can't touch him so that can start the story

WE will have to wait a bit longer for the Mario space time continua, but in the mean time we can play a 2d Mario game with multiplayer support so now we can annoy up to four players for maximum efficiency- Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw on The Second Annual e3 Hype Massacre
WM
(William Mok)
Club Founder

iMok Productions

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 07:21:14 PM »

Umm.. read over Gavin's post again.  The things you mentioned are covered.  We are keeping the "creature" ambiguous - it is never revealed whether something dark is really brewing or he's just crazy or what.  Not everyone dies either; it's mostly people we don't care for.  The one time we do care for the dead person and it comes more as a shock than anything.

"How come dead bodies appear in his house?" - that's the whole point of the movie.
"Why doesn't whatever is killing the people kill the average Joe at night?" - that's part of the mystery.  Is the average Joe crazy? Maybe he's the killer.

Cameras - already done, check Gavin's post.

I've posted the script page.  At the moment, I just have the first scene but it sets the mood - gives substance to the characters a bit:
http://mmc.pftq.com/movie2238.mmc

So you'll notice I'm trying to come up with a different title - something a bit more ambiguous.  Maybe Coming Home One Night? Or something.  I don't like the "One Night" since it's obviously not one night.

countglenn
(Nathan Cline)
Grammar Medic
Distinguished Member

For every disease there is a cure.

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 11:17:34 PM »

...I want to be the Joe. Big time. I imagine this movie being the violent deranged cousin "Coraline" never had. And I can totally be that character.

Maybe he talks to his neighbors and gets into minor feuds. Later, he finds them mutilated.

Speaking of mutilation, here's a couple of suggestions, along with the sewn orifices:

Ripped throat
Asterick-shaped slash through the stomach
Small Intestine Scarf (Visibly missing from the body and tied around the neck)
Shaved head with heavy bite marks on the scalp
Blood fountain out of mouth
Open torso with mashed guts
Signature of killer placed in the back, different every time.

And those are a few.

As I said, it's all up to you whether or not you're willing to pay 50 bucks for this, but I paid a hundred bucks for "Mirror's Edge", so I guess that makes me a RETAAD. -Yahtzee Croshaw on Left 4 Dead
WM
(William Mok)
Club Founder

iMok Productions

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 06:55:43 AM »

If you check the script page - we actually have you set up as another character.  The main character's more of a solumn/quiet person so don't quite think that'd fit you.

Think you guys are overimagining things a bit - the movie's not necessarily violent, just disturbing.

countglenn
(Nathan Cline)
Grammar Medic
Distinguished Member

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 07:43:31 AM »

Aww man.

All the things I listed are what I find disturbing. I left out the gratuitously ripped out eyeballs because we already had them sewn shut. But now that I think about it, that's not impossible.

As I said, it's all up to you whether or not you're willing to pay 50 bucks for this, but I paid a hundred bucks for "Mirror's Edge", so I guess that makes me a RETAAD. -Yahtzee Croshaw on Left 4 Dead
Solaris
(Simon Lal)
The Power of the Sun

True form of Solaris

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 06:19:33 PM »

well we can have a message on every dead body so that it creeps the hell out of Joe

WE will have to wait a bit longer for the Mario space time continua, but in the mean time we can play a 2d Mario game with multiplayer support so now we can annoy up to four players for maximum efficiency- Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw on The Second Annual e3 Hype Massacre
WM
(William Mok)
Club Founder

iMok Productions

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 08:26:54 PM »

Who said the killer had to be human? Tongue

countglenn
(Nathan Cline)
Grammar Medic
Distinguished Member

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 10:58:54 PM »

Poltergeists leave messages too.

Solaris
(Simon Lal)
The Power of the Sun

True form of Solaris

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 12:32:10 PM »

okay let me rephrase that what if we had the killer leave message on the bodies if we do that we can totally give foreshadowing to who's dieing and maybe we could have the people who died be bad people or may have been bad in the past.

WM
(William Mok)
Club Founder

iMok Productions

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 02:01:38 PM »

The people who die are random - there's no foreshadowing.  That only adds more to the surprise when one of the main characters end up dead as well.

WM
(William Mok)
Club Founder

iMok Productions

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 04:42:20 PM »

Added parts of Scenes 2 and 3.  I'm working on 3 at the moment because I don't know what to do with Scene 2 (it's a "normal" scene, just everyday life).  Suggestions would be great.  My only requirements for this scene are:

- Simon established as old school enemy with Gavin.
- Gavin meets Sara.
- Reason given for Simon to hold grudge against Gavin, will want to frame him.

Okay looking back on the scene 2 - I really hate the characterization of Gavin so we'll probably rewrite most of the scene at work.  We need to make him a bit happier, more friendly - perhaps the only bit of negativity would come from rivalry with Simon.  Can't feel pity for what happens to Gavin later if we hate him from the start.

countglenn
(Nathan Cline)
Grammar Medic
Distinguished Member

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 07:17:59 PM »

It would be cool if I didn't show up for a couple of scenes but can be seen in the background watching the main character in plain sight. I call this the "G-Man" Effect.

That goes something like this: Remember in the Christmas Movie how you can see me behind the tiny table-post, but can't figure it out unless you are really good with perception or somebody tells you? It's something like that, but I can be seen once in every scene. Like when Gavin's walking home, I can be seen mowing a lawn after dark or waiting for a bus. Or in the first scene, I could be reading a newspaper while Gavin, Alaina, and Asee are walking down the levvy. No one character necessarily needs to look at me or notice me. That's what makes me all the more conspicuous/inconspicuous.

Solaris
(Simon Lal)
The Power of the Sun

True form of Solaris

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 08:11:40 PM »

how do you do that nathan

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Moviemakers Club  |  The Set  |  Scripter's Corner  |  Topic: In the Midst of the Night...
Jump to: