Moviemakers Club
Home Search Calendar Login Register Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Moviemakers Club  |  The Set  |  Scripter's Corner  |  Topic: A Pen's Worth 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: A Pen's Worth  (Read 1006 times)
WM
(William Mok)
Club Founder

iMok Productions

« on: January 29, 2009, 03:48:53 AM »

I realize my last post may have been a bit confusing, so I've narrowed it down a bit.  This really is one of the easier projects we've done in a while and can be very fun if everyone participates.

The basic idea is we have an ordinary (or special) pen that travels from owner to owner and we follow the pen, seeing each of owner's own story and background.  In a way, we show how each of the characters are isolated from each other but connected in some ways.

A Pen's Worth Script: http://mmc.pftq.com/movie2087.mmc

Dialogue is minimal.  Effects are also pretty much inexistent.  I guess you could say this is one of our few "normal" movies. Tongue

Because of the episode-like structure, I encourage everyone to come up with their own character story.  The only rules I want to keep for this movie are:
- Every character owns the pen at some point. No "extras" or minor roles.
- Every character must make some "cameo" appearance in an earlier scene before we see the character's story.
- The pen comes full circle to return to its original owner.

Currently in line for future scenes in script:
Gavin Wong
Linda Ha
Nathan Cline

Those members and anyone else who wants to be in the movie, please see if you can come up with an interesting story for yourself.  The only real requirement is to have some sort of theme (dreamer, klutz, ice cream man, etc) that defines you.

The good thing about this script is it focuses on each character one at a time, so each person can be filmed at whatever time works best.

chiyeko85
(Alaina Fong)
Distinguished Member

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 06:16:52 PM »

if u need me, i'll help with the movie
countglenn
(Nathan Cline)
Grammar Medic
Distinguished Member

For every disease there is a cure.

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 12:05:48 AM »

Okay, so minimal dialogue and a theme to fit me? Very well...

(Theme Chosen: Enigmatic individual who is a visual artist in his pass time. Has a stone face, rarely smiles or talks, although is very gentle with his new gift, regardless of the fact that he thinks the pen is cursed later on.)

[Scene Nathan]

(Gavin makes an epic toss of the pen by accident, flinging the pen out of the theater in which he is acting in.)

Gavin: (thinking the dialogue, but has quite the shock on his face)  Wait! My pen!

(The pen is shown flinging through the air, and breaks through a window on the door of the theater. It just so happens to hit Nathan in the temple, knocking him over. He looks a bit dizzied, but gets up and sees the pen, and picks both himself and the pen up. He looks around for the source of the pen, then focuses on the pen itself. He shrugs and stuffs it into his pocket.)

(Later, at his house, he opens the pen up and scribbles it on some paper, only to find it's out of ink. He looks around and picks up a gnarled pen and takes the cartridge from it and replaces it. He then scribbles on the paper, leaving an ink trail.)

Nathan: Okay then, let's put you to good use.

(He starts writing down something, and eventually gets comfortable until the paper rips. He looks dissatisfied and precariously places the pen on his dresser as he leaves to get some more paper. The pen wobbles as Nathan comes back with more looseleaf, and he tries to grab the pen only to fail and hit the side of the pen, launching the utensil into his forehead, once again collapsing him. He is shown on the ground, very unhappy.)

Nathan: *sighs silently*

(Later on, he is going to bed and lays the pencil down on his dresser.)

Nathan: That'll be enough mishap for me today, thank you.

(He shuts his desk light off gets into bed and nestles tight. The next day arrives a bit too quickly.)

Give me a moment.

As I said, it's all up to you whether or not you're willing to pay 50 bucks for this, but I paid a hundred bucks for "Mirror's Edge", so I guess that makes me a RETAAD. -Yahtzee Croshaw on Left 4 Dead
WM
(William Mok)
Club Founder

iMok Productions

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 09:30:05 AM »

Might want to steer away from the writer a bit - since my character already does that.  We want each character unique. Smiley

countglenn
(Nathan Cline)
Grammar Medic
Distinguished Member

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 09:51:46 AM »

K. How about an artist? Or a pen collecter?

As I said, it's all up to you whether or not you're willing to pay 50 bucks for this, but I paid a hundred bucks for "Mirror's Edge", so I guess that makes me a RETAAD. -Yahtzee Croshaw on Left 4 Dead
WM
(William Mok)
Club Founder

iMok Productions

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 01:06:05 PM »

That works.  Pen collector - not sure... you basically don't want too much focus on the pen itself - it should complement, not make the character.

WM
(William Mok)
Club Founder

iMok Productions

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 03:48:09 PM »

Added the other 1.5 scenes I had written down.  So I still need more on what Gavin actually does (what he actually performs or whatever).  We just know he loses the pen while carrying it in his pocket.

Also, for my scene, anyone have or know of someone who keeps a desk/writing platform near a window? Tongue

WM
(William Mok)
Club Founder

iMok Productions

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 05:11:02 PM »

Don't know if this will help but I created a video outline with the music I've planned out so far.  Hopefully helps you guys visualize the script a bit better.

http://mmc.pftq.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-10048

countglenn
(Nathan Cline)
Grammar Medic
Distinguished Member

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 05:35:17 PM »

Suggestions for Gavin:

COMEDIC ENTERTAINMENT! What if he does a joke about pens and starts to twirl the pen, screws up and sends it flying?

INTERPRETIVE DANCE! I mean, it would work well... when he's performing the Dance of Wind Glaives, he could slip into his pocket accidently and send the sucker flying.

WM
(William Mok)
Club Founder

iMok Productions

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 07:06:51 PM »

Gavin mentioned he'd like to be a basketball player... so maybe he's trying to practice basketball but ... something -_-

If possible, I'd like to finish the entire movie next week - as afterwards I'll be consumed in both Tennis and Debate (unless we want to stick w/ weekends, which actually work well).

I think we can generate the script much easier once everyone decides what "stereotype" or theme they want their character to be.

WM
(William Mok)
Club Founder

iMok Productions

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 05:14:04 AM »

Idea for Nathan (supposing he comes after Gavin):
- Gavin losing pen (it flies).  Nathan walking outside and hit in the head by the pen, falls.
- Zoom out, Nathan falls down stairs.
- Zoom out more. Nathan falls a few flights.
- Cut to ground; Nathan lands head first. Cut black.
- Cut to Nathan's facial reaction, yelling in pain.
- Pan outwards to show doctor applying duck tape to his finger, Nathan sitting on cot/table. "There you go, all better now."
- Nathan stops screaming. "Oh that's it? Okay!" Hops off and walks away whistling.
- Walks by place he fell and sees the pen... phobia? flashback?

I'll let you take it from there. Tongue

WM
(William Mok)
Club Founder

iMok Productions

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 04:42:01 PM »

Building off of that...
- Nathan realizes it's the pen that almost killed him, freaks out and throws it into the sky.  Zoom out to show just how far he actually threw it (it's disappeared).
- Cut to Ava walking on sidewalk home, pen hits her in the head.
- Confused and walks to her front door and about to open it when the door opens by itself.
- Simon walks out, carrying a bunch of stuff in a bag, dressed like a burglar.
- Awkward silence between the two.

... IDEAS WELCOME

... Eventually Simon gets the pen.
- Simon sneaks back to his home in the dark.
- His parents scold him for leading a useless life, sends him to the army.
- Fade to Simon dressed in ROTC uniform...

countglenn
(Nathan Cline)
Grammar Medic
Distinguished Member

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 06:56:09 PM »

Yeah, that'll work. But where do I get introduced? In that introduction sequence? I get to be the klutz! Yay!

Flashback Phobia Sequence:

-It fades out and says "Three Years Ago..."
-Happy music plays in the background.
-I walk along happily and proudly with pen in hand to my next class.
-A teacher points to a pop quiz with a wonderful smile on his face.
-I happily accept the test and point to my pen inquisitively.
-The teacher nods ecstatically.
-I smile and start doing the test.
-Asee appears and smacks me in the back, saying "Hey man, how are you?"
-The pen FLIES.
-Everything slows down and the music becomes very tragic.
-"NNOOOOOOOO!"
-The teacher is writing stuff on the board and the pen is heading toward him at a slow-mo pace.
-I'm in utter shock.
-The pierces the teacher in the back, killing him.
-Cut to mugshots in juvie.
-Cut back to reality.

WM
(William Mok)
Club Founder

iMok Productions

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 09:41:27 PM »

Not entirely sure that works since the pen doesn't go back 3 years Tongue

Here's your scene if it helps: http://mmc.pftq.com/movie2087.mmc#scn8

Sorry took so long to actually type up.

countglenn
(Nathan Cline)
Grammar Medic
Distinguished Member

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 11:33:05 PM »

Different but similar pen. I think it's a pretty boss idea. Along with your flashback scene, it looks like I'm terrified of pens. Which I may or may not be.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Moviemakers Club  |  The Set  |  Scripter's Corner  |  Topic: A Pen's Worth
Jump to: